Friday, December 12, 2008

The Great Cookie Swap '08

Jeez, peeps! Chill! I had to work today then go bra shopping then go cat "shopping." Yes, cat "shopping," which some might call foreshadowing. If you people an be patient for, like, two minutes, I'll get to that shortly. But first...the Cookie Swap. Inquiring minds want to know.

Since the hostess is such a good friend, the plan was to go over early to help set up. Alas, due to a comedy of errors that only happens when I am in a hurry, I was one of the last to arrive after 7 PM.

I baked my little heart out this week and ended up taking 10 dozen cookies to the swap. I think there were about 25 people there, and the largest, craziest, best cookie assortment ever. It was at the new home of my best pals Leah, Jake and Ian. Jake and Ian being boys, made themselves scarce for the evening. A cookie swap is typically a housewifey type event, however there were a few men at this event. The idea is that you make homemade cookies. Store bought are NOT welcome! Some folks ask you to bring a certain amount, like 3 or 4 dozen, Leah just asked you to bring what you want. At some point in the evening, you "swap" and take home as many as you brought. I did not do that. I've been baking since Sunday, which means I've had cookies for dinner since Sunday. I brought home a dinner plate of goodies.


Some folks took home a few more than they brought, some a few less. This is a very casual event. The cookies that were left have been donated to Interact, a local shelter for survivors of domestic violence and sexual assault. This is a wonderful organization and we were all thrilled to donate homemade cookies to them. Oh, I almost forgot, the size of the cookie matters. Last year, for example, I made tiny madelines, a/k/a My Labor Of Love. I put two of each in paper cups, since two were about equal to a regular sized cookie. Amanda made cupcakes that were so pretty and, if I might say so, darn tasty. (Again, were a casual cookie swapin' bunch.) Therefore, her cupcakes were worth a couple cookies.

I will talk to Leah about posting more pictures here of the swap, if it's okay with her. Overall, this is such a fun party. Folks arrive by 7, leave by 9, snack on hors d'oevres like cocktail weenies, homemade cheese ball, crackers with cream cheese and my pepper jelly. We had some wine and cocktails. I remember my mom going to cookie swaps when she was my age. So, gather you lady friends, get a-bakin' and a-swapin'.

I'm posing my cookie recipes on Meg In The Kitchen in the morning.

4 comments:

Kristina P. said...

10 dozen?!?!? I require 4 dozen. Those look great.

CailinMarie said...

oh joy! I adore cookies! I've been to two cookie swaps this season and so much fun.
but get this.
last week, I enter the kitchen to find Bitsy on the floor with the cookie tin and the drooling labrador and there is nigh but confectionary sugar left.
I am stomping my foot having a full blown 36 year old temper tantrum. YOU FED MY HOME MADE COOKIE SWAP COOKIES TO THE DOG?!? stamp stamp stamp. THAT WAS VERY VERY NAUGHTY. She continues to stare at me with her little self possessed two year oldness "hmmm. I really must call my social worker. This woman who thinks she is my mother has absolutely lost her mind."

Meg said...

Kristina, it was a tough week. I needed some baking therapy. Since I live alone, I don't bake for just me. I tend to go overboard.

Cailin, Oh Bitsy! Oh puppy! Oh the joys of having a family! I hope this was after the swap and not before.

FoxyMoron said...

I have never heard of such a thing as a cookie swap. How cool!