Thursday, June 5, 2008

I think I was a lizard in my last life.

Three words I never want to hear again. Record. High. Heat. I just can't function in this weather. I get home from work and I just fall asleep. On the bright side, in all of this heat and humidity, my new apartment is nice and cool. I get direct sunlight in my living room so it gets a little warmer, but not much. My bedroom is still really confortable. I may not have to buy that second air conditioner after all.

Yesterday on the way home, there were so many Indian co-op kids that the only language that could be heard was Hindi. It was pretty cool. It made me feel like I was some place significantly more exciting than Raleigh.

My morning have been free of Special Ed, which makes me eternally happy. The afternoons, however, not so much. A few weeks ago, he was reading a book to learn Spanish. Two days ago, he got on the bus carrying a copy of La Conexion and a copy of Que Pasa?. Apparently he's a quick study.

There's an Asian woman on the 105 in the afternoons. From her name tag, I learned that her name is Ma, she is from Burma (Myanmar) and she works at the Radisson. I see her most days, but recently she has gotten very excited and animated when she sees me. I don't think she speaks much, if any, English, but she's super friendly. She gets this big smile and waves when she sees me. Tuesday on the way home, we were passed on I-40 by two 18 wheelers carrying squashed cars. She was fascinated by that. It was kind of funny. I want to learn how to say "hello" in Burmese so I can properly greet her.

Over the past three mornings, Babushko has confirmed that I am indeed the nicest lady of them all. (As if there was any doubt!) Unfortunately, that's still the most he's ever said to me.

On Tuesdays, there's a yoga class I like at the Y. I made a deal with my bosses that I get to leave 15 minutes early on Tuesdays so I can catch this class, which is at 6:15. If you aren't there before 6:15, the instructor won't let you in. I have never been able to make it to that class. Tuesdays conspire against me. This past Tuesday, my first bus was late, which made me miss the second bus I need. I want to go to this yoga class because I'm a little stressed out, right? What's more stressful than constantly missing the damn class? Grrrrr. Clearly I need this class.

I still have no way to post pictures as my brother still has my camera cable. (ahem.) As soon as I get it, I'll post on Flickr at least most of the 632 pictures I took in Vermont. I leave for California in 20 days. I can't wait. Twelve days of doing nothing but bumming around Mountain View, Haight-Ashbury, and playing Wii.

No comments: