Thursday, August 28, 2008

Bus stop, bus go, she stays love grows, under my umbrella

Last week sometime I lost my umbrella, presumably on the bus. I went to the lost and found and described my umbrella to the nice customer service lady. She gave what I thought was my umbrella and I went on my way. Once I got on the bus, I realized I did not have my umbrella and promptly returned the one I had. I figured that someone had found and kept my umbrella, which made me a little upset. Turns out, I was sort of right.

Today is Thursday, which means Boyfriend is driving. As I am getting on the bus, he's digging through his bag and says to me, "I have something for you." My initial thought is..."your undying love and devotion?" Alas, it was only my umbrella. I sit down and he starts talking to me. He tells me how after I got off the bus last week, some guy sat in my seat, saw my umbrella and told him about it. He then says that he told the guy he knew who's it was and that he'd hang on to it. Boyfriend tells me how he's been using it this past week. My inner 7th grader is all like, "Oh, okay, you can keep it if you want" but all I can manage to say is "Yeah, it has been rainy, hasn't it?" Oy. I swear there's a part of me, the part that talks to cute boys, that never grew up.

I was talking to a coworker about how I returned the other umbrella to the lost and found because it wasn't mine and that I was hoping someone else would do the same. He essentially told me I was crazy and the last honest person on earth. That makes me really sad. Why not return it? It's not mine. I didn't pay for it. Is it really that crazy that I'd return an umbrella that wasn't mine? I bought fresh radishes the other day. I had two bunches in the bag, but the cashier only rang up one. So I told her there were two in the bag. Recently at the Farmer's Market, I was given back too much change. So I returned it. Is this behavior really *that* odd? Am I that much of a freak? Okay, wait. Don't answer that.

Now if you'll excuse me, my inner 7th grader has to go build a shrine to my umbrella.

3 comments:

FoxyMoron said...

Um, you're not Catholic are you? (don't have to answer that of course). But the little girl in me who was raised "hellfire and brimstone" can't physically not return something that isn't mine. Today in the supermarket (well it's not that super it's in Junee) my kids got a flavoured milk each and my son started drinking his before checkout (told him not to but....) As I paid for the other stuff I noticed him drinking his and said "was that rung up?" Nope it wasn't and I felt physically sick, although they know us there and it was an honest oversight.
I have returned overpayments in change, overlooked groceries and always they were impressed and grateful but slightly aghast. It's the Church that did it to me.
Oh and I thought you'd met the love of your life at the bus stop when I saw your title on my blog but had to run to the kitchen and all the time was singing that cursed song and wanting to get back to see what happened. You tease!!!! :)

Meg said...

You know, I was raised Catholic, but I haven't been to church in decades. Maybe that did have that effect on me.

Given the current state of the wackos at the bus stops these day...eeeek!

CailinMarie said...

so I'm thinking a picture of the umbrella shrine is in good order :-)
waiting...
and you know I was raised Catholic till Jr. High and then we switched to Lutheran and then to that nutty church i went to in High School (and I swallowed the bait hook, line and sinker)
and I probably return things like too much change about 85% of the time. More before it came along with wailing toddlers and other such embarrassing baggage :-)