Sunday, March 23, 2008

Bus pass? Check. Bus schedule? Check. Kevlar? Check.

I needed to go to AC Moore yesterday. It's the only place in town I can get Lion Brand Cotton-Ease , and since there are now babies and dogs in my life who need to keep warm, I had to go. To get to this particular AC Moore, I have to take the Number 1, Capital Something. Now, people who know me, know I am a tough cookie. I can take care of myself pretty well. When I am walking down the street, I don't get nervous. That said, I'm not so sure I'll be taking the No. 1 again any time soon. The crowd that rides the No.1 is, well, dodgy to say the least. The bus was fairly crowded. I was sitting by myself on the aisle seat. A woman gets on and decides she wants to sit in the seat next to me. Without looking at me, without speaking to me, she slides across my lap and parks it. I say, "excuse me." And she gets an attitude. (Seriously?) When a seat opened up across the aisle, I moved over. This prompts her to start a conversation with the gentleman (and I use the term loosely) in front of her about how I don't need to be riding the bus. Riiiiight. Okay.

On the return trip, several Urban Youths got on in their OG Finest. Super baggy jeans being held up by sheer will, "Tims," a t-shirt which may or may not have belonged to Andre The Giant at some point, and parkas. Huge parkas, with the hoods up. I may have failed to mention at this point that it was EIGHTY DEGREES yesterday. I had on a t-shirt and short jeans and I was roasting. Now, these kids in and of themselves don't scare me. What did freak me out a little is that, in spite of the fact that there were several seats together, they chose to spread out. One sat up front, next to me, the others sat in the middle and the back of the bus. Perhaps they weren't together after all, but they sure appeared chatty as the bus was rolling up to the stop. I'm guessing these aren't the kind of youngsters to strike up a conversation with strangers.

No comments: