Tuesday, March 11, 2008

Where's the ladies room? I gotta 10-100.

I've been taking the bus to and from work everyday now since the beginning of January. I leave my house at 6:50 am and walk to the Chargrill (where else do you want to be at 6:50 am?). I wait with the assorted crazies, the resident murder of crows (how often do you get to say that?), and the flock of starlings (do they have a fancy name?). I get on the 105 between 7:00 and 7:08 am. I arrive at the TTA transfer center at 7:40 am. Like clockwork. Except today. The bus comes. It is packed full of people. Like a Where's Waldo drawing. I was almost tempted to look for the proverbial woman-with-the-cage-of-chickens. The 105 stops at nearly every stop this morning to let people off. We finally arrive at the Transfer Center at 7:48. Three minutes after ALL of the other buses had departed. When I asked the driver if the other buses had really gone, Jerky McBusdriver advised me that it was not his fault and that I should have left earlier. Nooooo. You, sir, should have left earlier. I then go inside and speak to the customer service monkey at the ticket counter. She advises me that there's nothing she can do about it "from here." Sadly, this set the tone for the rest of my day.

However I did learn that "10-100" is bus driver code for "I gotta hit the head." They tell the dispatcher when they are arriving on the platform in RTP. Sometimes they'd say 10-100 at the end of what they have to say. Now I know what it means.

2 comments:

Meg said...

I know this is an old entry (I'm reading back thru the entries right now, as my brain is too short attention span for a book, and this is quite good eading!), but I had to post a reply. At my work when we need to use the facilities we say "I need to 4629". "4629" is the Product Look Up number (produce PLU) for the produce item "Leeks". I kid you not. Working at a natural foods grocery store is fun. And has changed how I look at leeks forevermore. :)

Meg said...

That is way too funny! However, I suppose more polite than announcing to your customers that you have to do "something else."