Saturday, April 19, 2008

Doing good with one click of a mouse!

These two websites were recently brought to my attention.

Good Search

Good Shop

Good Search donates a penny to your designated charity every time you search. A penny doesn't seem like much, but think about how often you use Google every day! Let's say I use Google 20 times a day, on average. Multiply that by 365 days and I've donated $73 a year to the Food Bank of Central and Eastern North Carolina at the end of a year just by going about my daily business. For every dollar donated, the Food Bank can provide four meals. That's 292 meals just because I need to look up something. The search engine is powered by Yahoo! which means you'll get good information. They have ways for you to add the search engine to your browser bar.

Good Shop is a similar concert. If you are shopping online, enter the website through Good Shop and a certain percentage will be donated to your charity. Again, these folks get money simply because you are going about your business. How cool is that? I'm going on a couple vacations in the next two months. I want to buy a new digital camera. I go to the Kodak web site through Good Shop and the Food Bank gets 3% of what I spend. Nifty, no? Zappos gets them a 6% donation! Purchases through iTunes gets them 2.5%. I'm not even going to try to calculate how much that gets them!

If you go to one of these pages and look at the bottom, you see a link for Participating Non-profits. There are over 58,000 active charities. There's got to be somebody you can get behind!

No comments: