Monday, September 15, 2008

I need to have my head examined.

My first bus in the evening was running too fast tonight and I almost missed it. Between you and me, this was the last thing I needed after the day I had. I went into the TTA customer service office to let them know. While I was filling out my complaint form, a customer service girl sells a monthly pass to a guy and mentions to him that if you buy six of them, you get a free monthly pass if you bring back the six used ones. I did not know this. Again, tough day, the last thing I needed to hear. So I mentioned it to the girl. I tell her I had never heard this before, I have been riding the bus for about a year and a half now, no one told me. Her response was basically, "Oh well." In her best interest, she summons a supervisor. I express my frustration, shall we say, to the supervisor. As the conversation ends she gives me two monthly passes for free. (A monthly pass costs $64, for those of you playing along at home.) Essentially, it's what I had earned this year by buying 12 monthly passes. Sounds great, right? Yeah, except now I feel a bit guilty. I mean this is $128 (someone check my math) value that she just gave to me. On one hand, I'm thrilled. On the other hand, I fell like maybe, it was too generous? Someone, please, what the hell is my problem?

Next week the TTA is having a big hoopla. Next Friday, 9/26, is Operations Appreciation Day. I am planning on making bus shaped cookies with bus colored icing for all of the drivers and staff. I'll wrap them up in little bags with a little note that says thank you. They really are great people. They have comment cards that riders can fill out and turn in. I grabbed a fistful today to fill out for Boyfriend (of course), Floyd, Lester, Norman, Preacherman, Sarge, Richard, and anyone else I can think of.

Preacherman is one of my favorites. He works part time, so I don't see him that often. He's the one that looks like a compact Jerome Bettis. He has the exaggerated diction and dramatic pauses of someone who does a lot of public speaking. He's apparently a preacher, from what I hear. He's a nice guy with a funny name. I forget it, but it's something like Harrington Jenkins. Bennington Jones? I forget.

Sarge is my new morning bus driver. He's a bit gruff, but nice. He has the deep voice, perfect posture and neatly groomed moustache of a career military man. It was also confirmed that he was in the military by several bus drivers.

The great people deserve cookies. I figure a production sized recipe by Bo Freiberg should do the trick.

5 comments:

Shoshanah Marohn said...

You totally deserve two free months of bus riding! I mean, in addition to actually earning them, you are giving them all this free advertising!

Meg said...

Hmmm...is this the kind of advertising they want?

"Come ride the bus with the crazypeople!"

CailinMarie said...

look at it this way - you have paid for them.
it is buy six get one free. period. they didn't give you anything special, they give it to everybody. and now you know to ask so you don't go paying for extra tickets.
I adore that you are making cookies. We make them for the school bus driver who is wonderful and always lies and says "your kids are great" even when they step off the bus with red marks from punching each other.

Meg said...

You're right, you're right. I did pay for them.

I'll start the cookie making process this weekend. I'll be sure to post pictures. I am borrowing a bus shaped cookie cutter.

FoxyMoron said...

What a girl! Can't wait to see what bus shaped cookies look like!! Post your recipe too. Oh wait it's me to has to post every recipe I make....